Dr. Stella Sylaiou is an experienced researcher in the field of museums, museum education, and digital humanities. Her innovative and interdisciplinary work is widely referenced. She has done extensive research on experimental museology and digital heritage, with an emphasis on virtual museums. She is an expert in designing, applying, and evaluating digital solutions for cultural environments, working at the forefront of virtual experiences since 2003. Moreover, she investigates the impact of emerging technologies on cultural industries as well as on meaning-making and learning in museums and galleries.
She publishes her research regularly, participates in numerous national and international research projects, boards and provides consultancy to both the private and public sectors. Moreover, she serves as an expert evaluator and reviewer of research proposals for the European Commission, the General Secretariat of Research and Technology (GSRT), and other bodies.
In the past twelve years, she has taught undergraduate and postgraduate courses on a wide range of subjects: Museum Education, Cultural Informatics, Museology, Cultural Communication, Cultural Policy, and Management at Universities in Greece, and Cyprus.
Her background is in Humanities (BSc. History, Archaeology and History of Art at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki/ AUTh, Greece). She has an M.Sc. in Archaeological Computing (University of Southampton, UK); an MA in Museology (AUTh), and a Ph.D. on Virtual Museums and the promotion of arts and culture with new technologies from the Inter-departmental Postgraduate Programme, Protection, Conservation and Restoration of Cultural Monuments (AUTh), partially funded by the Marie Curie Scholarship for the Transfer of Knowledge in the Graduate Centre of the School of Science and Technology (Centre of VLSI and Computer Graphics, University of Sussex, UK).
She has delivered eighteen papers in scientific journals, thirty-four papers at peer-reviewed conferences, and ten book chapters. She was a guest editor for five thematic special issues in international journals. She has a long experience as a member of scientific and organising committees of conferences, as well as of scientific working groups.
Call for papers
- Call for contributions, Special Issue “Mixed Reality in Culture and Heritage“, Heritage, MDPI
Current research projects
- Mixed Reality and Geoinformatics for Monuments’ Demonstration (MERGIN’MODE), Special Action “Open Innovation In Culture”, National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF).
- Promotion and Certification of Destinations and Routes of Religious Tourism (RE-TOUR), RESEARCH – CREATE – INNOVATE, Operational Programme Competitiveness, Entrepreneurship and Innovation 2014-2020 (EPAnEK), National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF).
- Development of a system for the visualization of cultural events’ information of Thessaloniki State Symphony Orchestra (DIGI-ORCH), Special Action “Open Innovation In Culture”, National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF).
- Improving the coexistence of man and bear in four National Parks of Southern Europe LIFE ARCPROM, Department of Visual and Applied Arts, University of Western Macedonia.
- Dzardanova E., Kasapakis V., Gavalas D., Sylaiou S. (2021). Virtual Reality as a Communication Medium: A Comparative Study of Forced Compliance in Virtual Reality vs. Physical World. Virtual Reality Journal (IF: 5.095). DOI: 10.1007/s10055-021-00564-9
- Evangelidis, K., Papadopoulos, T., Sylaiou, S. (2021). Mixed Reality: a reconsideration based on mixed objects and geospatial modalities. Applied Sciences (IF: 2.474), Special Issue on Extended Reality: From Theory to Applications.
- Sylaiou S., Kasapakis, V., Gavalas, D., Djardanova, E. (2020). Avatars as Storytellers: Affective Narratives in Virtual Museums. Personal and Ubiquitous Computing (IF: 1,735), Springer Nature, (DOI: 10.1007/s00779-019-01358-2)
- Chountasi M., Dafiotis P., Sylaiou, S. (2020). Newness and Openness in New Media Arts and Digital Performances: Contextualizing Greece in the Balkan Scene. International Journal of Performance Arts and Digital Media (IF: 0,11). (DOI: 10.1080/14794713.2020.1856552)
- Evangelidis, K., Sylaiou, S., Papadopoulos, T. (2020). Mergin’ Mode: Mixed Reality and Geoinformatics for Monument Demonstration. Applied Sciences (IF: 2.474), 10, 3826, Special Issue on Virtual Reality and its application in Cultural Heritage. (DOI: 10.3390/app10113826)
- Sylaiou, S., Dafiotis, P. (2020). Storytelling in Virtual Museums: Engaging a Multitude of Voices. Visual Computing for Cultural Heritage, 369–388. Springer International Publishing. (DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-37191-3_19)
- Sylaiou S. (2020). Museum and Museum Education in the digital era. Thessaloniki: Barbounakis Editions. ΙSBN: 978-960-267-315-7 [in Greek].